Thursday, June 7, 2012

A much needed update on Caroline, Tom and me.

Well I'll start with me... Yes it's actually Casey posting.  I am no longer a shell of a person.  I was very out of it for the last week and well that's kinda to be expected I had major surgery and a baby that seems to demand a lot of my attention.  She of course can have it all!  So with out going into too many details the c-section was done up and down on my belly and side to side on my uterus (better to prevent further c-sections) but for increased healing and lower risk of infections the doctors left the belly incision open and then they placed whats called a wound vac inside to basically suction it closed.  Every two days they go in and change the dressing out it gets smaller and smaller until it's all the way healed.  It sucks but it cuts my healing time in half.  Other than that I am running pretty hard to keep up with my visits with her, pumping schedule and the demands of being a step mom, wife, daughter and friend.  I am sure that some of those areas are slacking a little but I know everyone understands...

Now to Tom... he went back to work today and although I am sure it's hard it's a necessary evil.  He is such a strong man and amazing father because he too is juggling having a "hurt" wife, a preemie baby, work and the girls.  He's such a trooper and deserves all of the praise I can offer!  I am a lucky girl!

Last and I'm a sure most anticipated... the star of the show Caroline!



This child is a fighter and of course my brat!  She has a small heart murmur but it's not something the dr's are concerned about.  If it is still there in a week they will treat with meds to close the valve that is partially open.  Even some full term babies have this issue so it's not something we are overly concerned about.  She is up to 2.8 lbs today... an increase from yesterday's 2.6.  She is up to 17 ml on her feedings (I'm having a hard time keeping up to be honest).  She had an ultrasound of her head to check for brain bleeds, also can be common on full term babies, and she amazingly has none!!!! Yes, I said none like as in zilch, zip, zero!  My little feisty girl!  Other than that there's not much to say.  She's just growing and the only thing she needs right now is time to do so.  We kangaroo her twice a day on most days but always at least once.  Being home from the hospital makes things a bit harder time wise but this is an important step in her care.  She rests so peacefully when she's tucked in with mommy or daddy.

With us being home now there are some things we will need and I know so many people are asking how they can help.  I will work on getting our care calendar setup so if you would like to help it will tell you how.  I can't say exactly what yet because we don't have much of a routine but that is slowly falling into place.  Thank you all for your prayers.  They are clearly working!

xoxo,
Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment